Friday, July 26, 2013

When we are silent, we condone it

I once watched an ABC program on television called “What would you do”, hosted by John Quinones. The story line covered three different scenarios.  The first was on gay parents who were refused a meal at a restaurant. The second scenario was on a drunk a pilot who left a bar to fly a passenger jet plane noticeably intoxicated and the third one was about a woman who berates a clerk with Down syndrome at a grocery store.

Frankly, I had to call on all of my physical strength to help me sit through that last one, but I am thankful for people like Linda Tapia, who stood firm for the young man that was bagging the groceries and challenged the abuser to back down; she is now counted in my list of favorite heroes.  Mr. Quinones then interviewed Madeline Will of the National Down Syndrome Society, after viewing the skit, she commented, "It's important to say, again and again, this is wrong, this is not fair, and this is not how we treat other people."  

Have you ever been in a position or witness something that made you stop and run that statement through your head?  Then afterwards what did you do? These scenarios were not farfetched; if truth be told, I am certain that all of us can place ourselves as one of the characters portray in the last story line as either, the victim, the bully, the bystander, or hero/heroine.

By definition; 
  • A victim is an unfortunate person who suffers from some adverse circumstance
  •  Bully is an abuser who comprises repeated acts over time that involves a real or perceived imbalance of power abusing those who are less powerful. The power imbalance may be social power and/or physical power.
  • The bystander is a nonparticipant spectator.
  •  Heroes are peopling whom posse’s exceptional courage, strength or heroic qualities that help them to stand out.  

As I looked through these definitions I learned that falling into some of  these categories might be avoidable, but, I also realized that at times there will be instances where being a victim is unavoidable, because of being different or having an inability as in the case of our store clerk.
Being a realist, I also know that real heroes do not have the powers to see around walls or go through them; however, I also know that in different form they are amongst us and in most cases, they are us.

After scanning the internet, I found a lot of useful information on how to deal with bullies and I concluded that bullying revolves around, choices, ignorance, and where a person is strategically or physically within a given situation.

The first two, choice and ignorance, are easy to understand, but allow me explain to you what I mean by, “Where a person is strategically or physically within a situation” with an analogy that I use from time to time of the cross walk; you might realize that you too might have been a bully at one time. 
Here goes, at this crosswalk, there are four things, a stop sign, a vehicle and two people; one of these people is the driver of the vehicle and the other a pedestrian.

I would like you to first put yourself in the shoes of the pedestrian. The law says that at a stop sign the pedestrian has the right of way, you knowing this, start to walk cross to the other side. As you look you see an impatient driver and you think to yourself, I am in the right of way, so I am taking my time to cross. Now if you were the driver, your thoughts would probably be different. You probably thinking, I hope this clown picks up the pace, I would like to get on my way, or something like that. And this ladies and gentlemen is what I mean by “where a person is strategically or physically within a situation”.

I know that you have heard this next statement before, he or she is acting that way only because of (blank) and or lack (blank). My analogy asks only that we put ourselves in others shoes before acting out and it proves that we can do it; we all have driven or have been a pedestrian at one time or another.  
So be a hero when you can, help victims when possible, if you decide to be a bully, think of where you could be in the future and as for the bystanders, if you are silent you condone it. 

Courtesy of 
Rey Velez
Human Resources Business Partner at Square 1 Art

No comments:

Post a Comment